More Newbie Help

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Jul 10 13:45:56 CEST 2003

Dave Lovelace <dave at firstcomp.biz> writes:

> Here's a guess.  bogofilter returns a nonzero exit code if it classifies
> the message as spam, zero if it classifies it as non-spam.  You're then
> running grep & some other stuff, which has its own exit code.
> I'd guess that whatever in Postfix is calling this is looking for particular
> exit codes to say what happened, & it's getting something that says
> there was a temporary failure.  You probably need to change that.  (However,
> conceivably doing so will cause the message to be delivered
> somewhere.)

It's a wrong guess. What actually happens is that the script as
presented sends a mail to the spam account, and then terminates the
script with exit 0 while the "trap ... 0" is still in effect. This trap
will twist the exit code to EX_TEMPFAIL, even after the mail has
successfully been sent to the spam account.

> I don't know anything about Postfix, so I don't have any better idea
> of what's going on.

Postfix behaves like any other MTA (except qmail) here.