More Newbie Help

Dave Lovelace dave at firstcomp.biz
Wed Jul 9 20:02:06 CEST 2003

Clark, Aaron wrote:

> ------_=_NextPart_000_01C34639.FAD37C70
>
> Okay I'm almost there. I have a filtermail.sh script that Postfix calls when
> it receives a message and pass it through bogofilter. I then have the script
> grep for X-Bogosity:yes and redirect it using Postfix's sendmail to a SPAM
> mailbox. However after it redirects the SPAM the original message is sent to
> the deferred queue with Temporary Failure. I would assume this would hurt
> performance as all SPAM messages get placed in this queue and retry
> delivery.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Here's a guess.  bogofilter returns a nonzero exit code if it classifies
the message as spam, zero if it classifies it as non-spam.  You're then
running grep & some other stuff, which has its own exit code.
I'd guess that whatever in Postfix is calling this is looking for particular
exit codes to say what happened, & it's getting something that says
there was a temporary failure.  You probably need to change that.  (However,
conceivably doing so will cause the message to be delivered somewhere.)

I don't know anything about Postfix, so I don't have any better idea
of what's going on.

--
- Dave Lovelace
  dave at firstcomp.biz