Performance of Bogofilter, etc.

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Jul 4 01:22:46 CEST 2003

At 07:14 PM 7/3/03, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
>(btw, the list search page appears to be down)
>
>Someone recently introduced me to Bogofilter.
>
>I've been using SpamAssassin, which I believe has a performance hit with
>its perl design (though it's certainly suitable for my personal system).
>
>Someone recently mentioned that they felt the Bayes implementation of SA
>was superior.
>
>I'm curious about input about BogoFilter, compared to others (not just
>SA), and any performance issues/benchmarks.
>
>I presume one could somehow port over the SA database files for use with
>BogoFilter (I saw something in the FAQ but I believe that has to do with
>messages, not the database).
>

>Thanks.

Forrest,

The FAQ is, indeed, about messages.  In particular there's some information
about using SpamAssassin's results to train bogofilter.

As to converting an SA database for use by bogofilter, info on the SA
format would be necessary.  If words (tokens) and counts are available and
can be dumped, then bogoutil can be used to load the info into a wordlist
for bogofilter.

If you get inspired and tackle the conversion, we're interested in hearing
how it goes.

Take care.