autodaemon [was: mailbox classificataion]

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Fri Jan 31 01:42:22 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 03:17:57PM -0500, David Relson wrote:

> What the autodaemon module offers is to have a bogofilter daemon running
> all the time, with a small program to pass the email to it and receive
> results from it.  This is a big win because it reduces the cost of starting
> bogofilter for each message.  It is also a win for busy systems that may
> multiple instances of bogofilter running.

Thanks for setting me straight on that, I can now see the desire to have
a daemon.

Perhaps this is better for the -dev list, but what about reading /
writing from the DB4 files?  Would each BF process have access to the
two .db files you've read into memory and are writting out new tokens
to?

Could you load up the .db files into a shared memory segment and then
continue on as normal without modifying BF's code too much?  I would
think a lot of BF's "slowness" (doesn't seem to slow to me!) is having
to read in and modify the database files.  Is there any way to prove /
disprove this?  I would think if you kept those files in memory that
would save a lot on access times.  Perhaps have a process that flushed
out the memory to disk every N writes or every M minutes.

Course I'm just making all this up on the fly so maybe its a bad idea to
do.  I also think writing the email into read-only shared memory and
having multiple spam, virus, and other checkers running on it would save
disk i/o resources.

Maybe there's portability issues with this between linux and BSD.

Chris