mailbox classificataion

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Thu Jan 30 12:42:55 CET 2003

On 20030129 (Wed) at 2215:48 -0500, Gyepi SAM wrote:

> > > Of course, you can use formail -es, but we support -sSnN
> > > with mboxes already. Strictly speaking this would not be
> > > needed.
> >
> > Strictly speaking, the mailbox-splitting code isn't needed either, but
> > ESR introduced it and it managed to survive up to now. :-)
>
> And it causes all kinds of problems. I have said, and say again:
> let's take it out and make bogofilter only handle single messages.
> We will all be *much* happier with the results.
>
> Aside from David's objection on the grounds that he'd hate to reduce
> bogofilter's feature set, does anyone else have a strong[1] objection to
> this change?
>
> I honestly do not believe that this is a necessary feature. And it only
> complicates the user interface and the code.

I used not to trust bogofilter to process whole mboxen with -s or -n.
Then I found that it did in fact work ok, and was more than 5 times
faster than processing the same mbox with formail -s bogofilter.  That
is a lot of convenience to throw away, so yes, I'd object strongly to
doing so.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   finger greg at bgl.nu |