bogofilter's default algorithm

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Jan 21 01:50:52 CET 2003

At 07:21 PM 1/20/03, Barry Gould wrote:

>David,
>I'll probably be trying Robinson-Fisher when I upgrade.
>
>However I have some questions that don't seem to be answered in any of the
>files in 0.10.0:
>
>1. does bogofilter -u handle the unknown case (i.e. does nothing)?

Correct.  Ham and spam go into the wordlists before and unsure does nothing.

>2. is there a exit/return code for unknown so I can handle it in procmail?

No. With procmail, my mail server runs 'bogofilter -p -u -l -e -v'.  I then
use procmail's pattern matching to look for "^X-Bogosity: Spam" and

>3. is there a tag with -p that says "Unknown" so I can use it in the MUA?

Eh??? I don't understand this one?

>4. are the default cutoffs, ROBS, ROBX, etc set appropriately if I build
>with Robinson-Fisher set as the default? i.e. can just compile and start
>using it, or do I need to figure out what values to use?

AL_DEFAULT is #defined in config.c, with the default presently set to
AL_ROBINSON.  File bogofilter.cf.example shows a variety of arrangements
for using robinson-fisher (or the other algorithms).  My settings are
pretty much the last 4 lines of the file (with '#' removed, of course).  I
also use the "*_format" options that start about 20 lines before the end of
the file.

>5. is "--enable-robinson-fisher" the configure command to set
>robinson-fisher as the default?

If you build with only robinson-fisher enabled, then that will be the
default.  I haven't tried it recently, but "configure
--enable-robinson-fisher --disable-graham --disable-robinson" would be the
right combo.