Carbon Copies (CC's)

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jan 20 01:34:56 CET 2003

Nick Simicich <njs at scifi.squawk.com> writes:

> My last word on this (whole diuscussion).  Better than a made-up header
> that has no official status anywhere.

Reply-To munging might be useful if the mailing list managing software
allowed it to be configured per subscriber. Then everyone could choose
their poison^W^Wthe configuration that suits their favourite mailer best.

> Why would that make any difference?  Either this is the right thing to
> do, in which case it should be a standard, or it is not, in which case
> it should not be.  If it is not written as a standard, why would anyone
> follow it when, as you assert, they can't get the standard's right?

If they don't get the essential standards right, they won't even look at
"extra" standards.

> did.  Finally, Pine had a reply command that worked, it was all things
> to all people including those who optionally wanted to ignore reply-to.
> The elm people should just have copied it rather than whining about
> it.

elm is dead. Ahem.

> And, yet, RTMCH ignores all of the accidents and pissed users that
> result when the munging is not done.

[...]

> There is the universal fix for all these maladies:  Cut and paste.
> Every windoze user has to cut and/or paste every mailing list reply,
> especially without reply-to munging.  They also have to cut and paste
> replies to individuals.

Users that have mailers that force them to copy & paste should seriously
consider getting a real mailer and drop their current one. Neither
Reply-To nunging nor leaving the headers alone will cure their
pains. Oh, and if their mailer doesn't let them "insert text file here",
it's a shame no matter which OS. Talk about Mozilla 1.0.x...

> In your note to them, you might note the alternate forms - it can be a
> URL if posting is through same, or it can be "NO" if no posting is
> allowed.  I believe that there are other alternates.

I mentioned the RFC number, that should be sufficient.

Yes, the moderator address, or optional header fields as per RFC-2368: