successful redhat 8.0 installation, but ...

Jason S. Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Sat Jan 18 06:19:11 CET 2003

I installed bogofilter 0.9.1.2 on my RedHat 8.0 system.  I'm happy with it's functionality, and I'm looking forward to stopping my first spam with it.

A small part of the installation did not go smoothly, however:  the man pages were installed in /usr/local/man, whereas RedHat puts its man pages in /usr/share/man.  I suppose every distribution does it differently, and it's therefore difficult if not impossible to handle every distribution cleanly.  I would suggest, then, mentioning in the FAQ that the man pages will be installed in /usr/local/man by default.  I know the first thing I did after installing was type "man bogofilter" -- when nothing came up I assumed that no man pages existed and that I should rely on web-based documentation.

Now, a question, please.  I created a group bogofilter and added a few users to that group.  I created goodlist.db and spamlist.db, put them in a central place, made the ownership root.bogofilter and the permissions 660, and then asked users to create sym-links to these files.  These users can write to these files, yet I see these lines in my procmail log, and the mail is not being delivered:

procmail: Executing "bogofilter,-uepl"
bogofilter (db) open: /home/powerpull/.bogofilter/goodlist.db: Permission deniedbogofilter: Cannot initialize database good.
procmail: Error while writing to "bogofilter"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
procmail: Assigning "EXITCODE=75"
procmail: Assigning "HOST"