TODO for 1.0

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jan 13 21:30:35 CET 2003

Chris Wilkes <cwilkes-bf at ladro.com> writes:

> I see the use in an MD5 of the body as being useful as then you can keep
> an accurate track of if an email has already been seen and when it was
> categorized.  I only use the body as if you bounce the mail back to the
> server for a check the headers should be ignored.

body checksums are no good. Spammers send the same mail with just a
unique tag -- this breaks your MD5 and gets the message re-registered.

> could move away from the -S and -N switches which un-registered a
> message as one type and re-registered it as another and fold that into
> -u, which automatically registers spam in the right database as you'll
> know if you've seen the mail before.

You'd need to store the full token set for the message alongside the
MD5. Talk about making the data base files big.

You might want to look at spamprobe (also hosted at sourceforge) to
figure if /that/ does something; it somehow keeps track of the messages
it's seen.