procmail question

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Jan 9 13:38:46 CET 2003

At 11:53 PM 1/8/03, Jason S. Friedman wrote:

>If I'm reading your .procmailrc correctly, you expect the command
>bogofilter -p -u -l -e -v
>to return 0 or 1 depending on whether bogofilter believes the message is
>spam.
>
>The "error catcher" lines then say that if bogofilter returns with a
>non-zero exit code then send this message back for later delivery?

Jason,

Close, but not quite.

In normal operation bogofilter exits with 0, 1, or 2.  0 indicates spam, 1
indicates ham, and 2 indicates an error.  The 0 and 1 values can be used by
procmails "?" operator.

The "-e" flag means "nonspam exits zero".  When using "-e", bogofilter
exits with 0 for both spam and ham.  2 still indicates an error.

So, the "error catcher" lines will be activated when bogofilter
aborts.  With "-l" turning on message logging, bogofilter should be logging
an error message whenever it uses exit 2.

I'm not finding any bogofilter error messages in the logs, but I am finding
procmail error messages.  Run from the command line, all is well.  It's
very puzzling.

To add another data point, 21:03 was the last appearance of the error messages.

>What happens when you run these from the command line:
>bogofilter -p -u -l -e -v < file_containing_mail && echo "exiting zero"
>bogofilter -p -u -l -e -v < file_containing_mail || echo "exiting
>non-zero"

It says "exiting zero".

FWIW, I also ran the following commands:

         bogofilter -p -u -l -e -v < file_containing_mail
         rc=$?
         echo rc is $rc

and they said "rc is 0"