documenation directories [Re: ballot]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Jan 3 23:21:58 CET 2003

At 04:50 PM 1/3/03, Matthias Andree wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Jan 2003, David Relson wrote:
>
> > The number of questions on the ballot has risen.
> >
> > 1 - documentation re-organization - yay or nay
>
>yay, but keep in mind we have constraints to observe. Some are imposed
>by the BSD/SysV hier(7) documents, some are imposed by the Linux FHS
>(less prevalent when "make install" installs into the same places), and
>some are imposed by autoconf/automake (The feature to shuffle AC_LIBOBJ
>source files to a separate directory is documented, but I can prove it
>non-working.) It's fine with me to move all documentation sources to a
>"doc" directory. We can also split the installed documentation into
>"user" and "programmer" parts, I'd suggest
>/usr[/local]/share/doc/[packages/]bogofilter/ for user-visible
>documentation and the subdirectory
>/usr[/local]/share/doc/[packages/]bogofilter/programmer/ for programmer
>documentation.

Below is the list of README.* and other documentation files.  The three
"README" files (without a .*) should be left alone.

Each of the contrib/README.xyz files corresponds to a script in
contrib.  Rather than separate these files from their scripts, let's link
to them from the doc directory.

The others can go to bogofilter/doc and from there be installed in
.../share/doc/.../bogofilter and .../bogofilter/programmer.  I've marked
the "programmer" ones.  Have I left any out?

[relson at osage cvs]$ find . -name "README*"
./README
./README.Robinson
./README.cvs - programmer
./README.dcdflib - programmer
./README.hp-ux
./README.freebsd
./dcdflib/README - programmer
./contrib/README.unbase64
./contrib/README.randomtrain
./contrib/README.bogopass
./tests/t.systest.d/README
./tests/README

[relson at osage cvs]$ find . -name integrating*
./doc/integrating-with-postfix
./doc/integrating-with-qmail

[relson at osage cvs]$ find . -name "*.example"
./bogofilter.cf.example
./contrib/procmailrc.example

>I believe (barring other automake/autoconf bugs) we can move many of the
>helper scripts (ylwrap, missing, config.*, depfiles) to an "aux"
>subdirectory if we want that. I'd approve that.

Sounds good.