unregistration options

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Fri Feb 28 21:04:21 CET 2003

Hi bogofilter,

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:51:06PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> At 02:06 PM 2/28/03, Simon Huggins wrote:
> >> Bogofilter's in early development, and freezing human or programmatic
> >> interfaces this early isn't a good idea: it stifles improvement.
> >I could accept this if...
> >> This particular change is being considered because the -S and -N
> >> options in their original form give less flexibility and are less
> >> intuitive than the proposed replacements.
> >... I thought this was an improvement.
> It provides a symmetry of capability that has been lacking.

Right, but that's a theoretical need not a real one.

> >Why do people want to merely unregister spam?  Isn't the point that
> >you either get a false-positive in your spam folder or a
> >false-negative in your inbox and want to reverse what has been done?
> Suppose you mistyped a command and registered a message twice.
> Without an unregister capability, you have no way to correct the
> mistake.

Er, if you do -S twice then doing -N once should fix it as -N is the
opposite of -S.

I guess if you do -s twice then you can't fix it.  I'm not sure that is
a good enough reason to break existing scripts.

> >I can see that theoretically it would be nice to allow you to
> >unregister without adding to the other list but can't see _any_
> >practical mail handling application for this.
> >
> >Why was this wanted in the first place?
> It's been requested several times over the past few months.  I thought
> it worth doing and did it.

I think I can see why it would be vaguely useful but given it's going to
be used less than -S and -N I don't see why it should change those
options.

I'm not that bothered - if it's decided this is in the best interests of
bogofilter I'll change my scripts and won't lose any sleep over it.

Simon.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/     "Step #1 in programming: /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/ understand people." -- Linus /**