unregistration options

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Feb 28 16:05:28 CET 2003

Hi Simon,

Currently '-s' and '-n' can be considered as performing single actions,
i.e. register, while '-S' and '-N' perform dual actions, unregister and
register.  Bogofilter's option scanner remembers the last option seen, so
'-SnNs' is the same as '-s'.  The changed code has each option tied to a
single option and, as scanning progresses, each new option will turn off
any conflicting preceding options, i.e. both '-S -N' and '-n -N' mean '-N'.

Implementing backward compatibility in the manner you suggest is
unsatisfactory.  If action modifiers were to be implemented, it'd be better
to use a new option letter rather than reuse an existing letter.  "-U" has
been suggested by several people as an option that could be used with '-S'
or '-N' and would mean "unregister only".

Essentially the two leading ideas for registration options are:

1 - have '-s', '-n', '-N', and '-S' each correspond to a single action,
with combinations allowed, and each new option turns off preceding
conflicting option.

2 - have '-s', '-n', '-N', and '-S' retain their current meanings with new
flag '-U' usable only with '-S' and '-N' and meaning "unregister only".

Option 1 has received the most votes in the polls of Feb 6 and of Feb 27.

David