Unregistering Mail / MD5

Barry Gould BarryGould at PennySaverUSA.net
Thu Feb 13 23:28:09 CET 2003

At 02:16 PM 2/13/2003, David Relson wrote:

>Try running command "bogoutil -p -w $YOUR_DIRECTORY barrygould
>pennysaverusa.net".  Both those tokens are already being scored in every
>message you receive.  I'd bet that the spamicity is 0.50000 (or darn close
>to it).
>
>I assert that that there's little or no difference in the classification
>of the original message and the forwarded message.  Your address is
>already in the header, so a second copy is not going to matter.

Sorry, but it doesn't look that way:
# bogoutil -p -w .bogofilter barrygould pennysaverusa.net
                        spam    good  Gra prob  Rob prob
barrygould              251   13047  0.056194  0.057041
pennysaverusa.net      1780   85259  0.060692  0.060819

'barrygould' I can understand: most of our spam goes to other addresses.
I'm not so sure about pennysaverusa.net, as all mail should say

Regardless, I don't think it's a good idea.
It would pollute the db with other headers, like MUA=Eudora would start
appearing spammy, even though it shouldn't be, esp as all my friends and
family and many co-workers use Eudora.
It would also mess up the block-on-subnets data.

I can conceive that a possible alternative would be to forward messages
with some sort of delimiter line telling bogofilter (or procmail) to ignore
everything up to that line, but it would have to be defined by the user,
otherwise spammers could put that line at the end of all spam :)

Barry