Unregistering Mail / MD5

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Thu Feb 13 22:13:43 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 12:10:04PM -0800, Barry Gould wrote:
> At 05:40 PM 2/8/2003, Chris Wilkes wrote:
> >Alternatively, I'm working up an MD5 checksum of just the email's body
> >and recording its spam status and time seen into a database file.  That
> >way you can tell if an email that's been delivered has been run through
> >BF before.  Once I get it working I'll publish it, maybe making into the
> >contrib/ directory.
>
> Although I can see that would work for people who keep the exact original
> message, I usually do manual corrections with my messages after I see them
> in Eudora.
>
> This means they are mime-decoded, attachments are separated, and headers
> are added (X-Persona, Status, etc).
>
> Therefore, MD5sums are unlikely to match.

True, but wouldn't you correct the spam/notspam misclassification before
you start mucking around with the body?  Plus since you're only going to
look at the body it wouldn't matter if you change the headers.  Course
you have to make sure that you bounce the mail back to the server and
not forward it.

Chris