registering spammails

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Feb 4 22:13:29 CET 2003

At 03:54 PM 2/4/03, Eric Persson wrote:

>David Relson wrote:
>>I don't see any problems.  The bogofilter distribution includes
>>additional programs bogolexer and bogoutil, which can be useful
>>diagnostic tools.
>
>I tried the extra tests you suggested and it seems like the missing part
>which caused my problem was the lack of the -C option which tells it not
>to use the default configfiles. I havent actually made a lot of
>adjustments to the example file, just some minor modifications.
>
>The problem is since the bogofilter was run by root all the spammessages
>and the data about them ended up in /root/.bogofilter/spamlist.db . :)
>
>So, well, I guess this whole mess was kind of my own fault, and lack of
>reading the mans caused it. However I learned a lot about bogofilter now,
>but I might have wasted your time a bit.
>
>I do appreciate the help I got David, thank you very much.
>
>         Eric

Eric,

When I first start using new software, it often has the appearance of being
broken.  Some of it is caused by my ignorance and other issues appear
because I'm using it _my_ way.

Generally you should not need the -C option.  Bogofilter installs a sample
config file, bogofilter.cf.example, but won't use a config file of that
name (unless you tell it to do so by using "-c bogofilter.cf.example").  I
find options "-C -d ." very useful in quick tests because they give me a
nice simple test environment.  Environment variable BOGOFILTER_DIR can be
used to control where the word lists go.  And, as you discovered, userid
and file permissions matter (which is nothing new).

As always, I'm glad to help out.  As is often the case, others found the
information useful as well.