registering spammails

Fred Yankowski fred at ontosys.com
Tue Feb 4 19:07:21 CET 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 12:42:23PM -0500, Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
> bogoutil -w . .MSG_COUNT
>                        spam   good
> .MSG_COUNT                0   1973

Did you ever run "bogofilter -s" on any messages?  That's the only way
(ignoring the -u and -S options) that messages get recorded as spam.

A common procedure to is prime the bogofilter database by running
"bogofilter -s" on a collection of saved spam messages and "bogofilter
-n" on a similar collection of good messages.  Then you need to run
bogofilter with -s or -n to correct the database for any
false-negative or false-positive assessments as spam, respectively,
that occur as bogofilter evaluates later messages.

> Also, "bogoutil -d spamlist.db | less" lets me see that there are a lot
> of 'good' words in there. Should I remove it and start building the
> spamlist.db anew?

Maybe.  Note that a word will appear in the spam database if it
appears even once in any message that you record as spam.

--
Fred Yankowski      fred at ontosys.com           tel: +1.630.879.1312
OntoSys, Inc	    PGP keyID: 7B449345        fax: +1.630.879.1370