bogofilter over NFS

Piotr KUCHARSKI chopin at sgh.waw.pl
Tue Feb 4 18:57:01 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 10:35:46AM -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> > And, remember, bogofilter-0.7.4 worked on this setup with
> > no problems whatsoever.
> Your point being?

Simply that either bogofilter shall be documented not to use
NFS or be fixed to use it in whatever way (or workaround you
proposed) that would make it work. So far it says "use fcntl",
but once (0.7.4) it works, another time (0.10.1.4) it does not.

> This wouldn't be the first time that release N was
> fine, and release N+M was broken, and it turned out to be an nfs locking
> problem.  EG, netscape suddenly started doing something that Should be
> perfectly fine in a newer release of their browser, but one of the
> changes was locking a file, which tickled sun's NFS locking problem.

I would rather think the change to the program made NFS locking
not working than think that NFS locking was and is broken and
program doesn't have to be responsible for it.

> Keep in mind that I'm not saying you definitely have a Sun NFS locking
> problem.  I am however saying that it's premature to rule out the
> possibility.

While I am not ruling it out, odds seem better that program change
was made incorrectly.

I will try to trace the problem.

p.

--
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his
heart he dreams himself your master.   -- Commissioner Pravin Lal