bogofilter over NFS

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Mon Feb 3 19:35:46 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 05:53:24PM +0100, Piotr KUCHARSKI wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 08:46:08AM -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> > NFS locking is often just horribly broken.  Even with Suns.
>
> Worked so far.

Not at all.  I've personally sorted out a handful of Sun NFS locking
problems, and consulted on a handful more.

> > It's best to do this (from the open man page on redhat) :
>
> Mind, that is redhat. They might do weird things with NFS.

Linux NFS is bad off, but this kind of workaround is not linux specific.

> Perhaps that's the workaround they need for NFS locking to
> work. Solaris has rpc/lockd, which has proven stable so far.

No, Solaris NFS locking is broken too.  Not all the time, but often
enough that experienced admins know to suspect it.  Same with linux nfs
- not broken all the time, but often enough that you have to keep the
possibility in mind.

> And, remember, bogofilter-0.7.4 worked on this setup with
> no problems whatsoever.

Your point being?  This wouldn't be the first time that release N was
fine, and release N+M was broken, and it turned out to be an nfs locking
problem.  EG, netscape suddenly started doing something that Should be
perfectly fine in a newer release of their browser, but one of the
changes was locking a file, which tickled sun's NFS locking problem.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying you definitely have a Sun NFS locking
problem.  I am however saying that it's premature to rule out the
possibility.  Mind you, I like sun, but it seems to me you have entirely
too much faith in the buglessness of their NFS implementation.  Precious
little software is bug free.

I'm going to try to be quiet now.  If you don't want to learn, that's
not my problem.

--
Dan Stromberg                                               UCI/NACS/DCS