bogofilter over NFS

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Mon Feb 3 16:59:07 CET 2003

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 03:17:51PM +0100, Piotr KUCHARSKI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Did anyone use bogofilter on a NFS-mounted HOME, where all mails
> and also .bogofilter/.db are located? I'm experiencing some strange
> problems.

I do, without problems, between two redhat 7.3 hosts with current kernel
patches.

> In a few words: it goes into infinite loop trying to lock .db
> This is strange, because fcntl() is supposed to work fine on NFS.
> (Also, version 0.7.4 from which I upgraded to 0.10.1.4 had no such
> problems)

NFS locking is a frequent source of problems.  If you study the procmail
source, you'll get an indication of the extremes people have gone to in
order to work around the bugs.

man open on a redhat system also describes the algorithm used, I
believe.  It's under O_EXCL.  It's likely the same man page as on other
linux systems.

We periodically have to patch/upgrade systems to eliminate NFS file
locking problems.  We have a mix of Sun, Redhat, Irix and Tru64 hosts.
I believe they've all had NFS locking problems at one time or another.

I'm hopeful that the locking in NFS v4 will work better.  In v4, locking's
finally integrated into the protocol instead of being bolted on as an
afterthought.