New 0.15.13 rpms

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Wed Dec 31 19:28:38 CET 2003

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 10:04:15AM -0800, Chris Wilkes wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 11:07:35AM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> >
> > I've built some new rpms for bogofilter-0.15.13 with the intent of
> > fixing recent dependency problems.  Please download and test and report
> > back to the list.  If they're OK, 0.15.13 will be promoted to "stable".
> >
> >    ftp://ftp.osagesoftware.com/pub/outgoing/bogofilter/CURRENT.RELEASE
> >
> >    bogofilter-0.15.13-2.src.rpm
>
> I've managed to run into the same problem I had before with db4:
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.bogofilter.general/5805/
> where it can't find the /usr/lib/libdb.so (which exists) as,
> apaparently, it is looking for it under /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1 per
> your post.  What's odd is that looking at the spec file generated I
> can't find a reference to where it should look for this library.
>
> Here's some selected output from my build commmand:
>   rpmbuild -vv --rebuild bogofilter-0.15.13-2.src.rpm
> The full log file and spec file are here:
>   http://ladro.com/bf/rpm-0.15.13-2.log
>   http://ladro.com/bf/bogofilter.spec

The logs show a build failure for the static version. Therefore the missing
file would be /usr/lib/libdb.a not /usr/lib/libdb.so which is a dynamic
library. Does that file exist?

What's happening here is that configure tests for the presence of a .so file,
but the static build process actually requires a .a file. Ideally, we should
tweak the configure file to do the right thing in the presence of a '--enable-static'
option.

> You mentioned
>   What may help is to install the source rpm, then use
>   "autogen --with-libdb-prefix=/usr"
> Not being an experience RPM user how do I specify that?  Should I put it
> in my rpmmacros file?

Easiest is to modify the spec file. BTW, I think just editing the 'configure
line to add '--with-libdb-prefix=/usr' should be adequate.

-Gyepi