mbx support?

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Tue Dec 23 04:42:07 CET 2003

From: "David Relson":
> I've considered mbx and mbox to be synonyms.  Beyond that, I'm ignorant.
>  Would you care to educate me?

Like already replied, they're an indexed version of the traditional mbox
format.  Although not certain, I think the read/unread flags are stored in
the header's meta information for an mbx file as I previously ask in another
email.  Apparently mbx format isn't too popular on this list.  :-(

I use a variation of the WU-IMAP product rather than the stock imap/pop3
package that comes with most distros.

Here's the points you'll be most interested in:
http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html#4.5
http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html#6.9

WU-IMAP's "c-client" library may have all the code neccessary to handle mbx
files.  In fact, if you use pop, WU-IMAP's pop3d will actually copy data out
of the mbx file back to the mbox format before the actual popping of email
occurs.  So (unproven by me) a cheesy way to convert an .mbx file back to
mbox would be to pop off the email and use the "leave messages on server"
trick  Then with the mbox file, I can re-train bogofilter.  Then resort back
to imap again.

Well, to avoid all that trickery, I was hoping bogofilter just supported the
mbx format since I seen "mbx" mentioned in the bogofilter FAQ.  But it
didn't sound right as we now know.

Would you like to give me a Christmas present? ;-)
-Eric Wood