Teching bogofilter by forwarding messages

Stroller Linux.Luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Dec 21 00:05:40 CET 2003

On Dec 20, 2003, at 6:26 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 19:26, Stroller wrote:
>> Only my opinion, but decentralised email storage is a Bad Thing (tm).
>> You should disable the users POP3 access & make it company policy that
>> users HAVE to keep their mail on the server using IMAP. It would be
>
> As the administrator of a relatively small mail server (<50 users), I
> find the idea of forcing IMAP absurd, especially for anyone supporting
> more users than I do.

Perhaps I didn't emphasise enough my statement that "*this is only my
opinion*". And I'm sure you've hear the simile likening opinions to
assholes.

> Do you realize how many emails people like to
> save, for whatever reason?

Yes, mine's 539meg, and I don't consider that outrageously large. But
in a corporate environment, as is that of the OP, all emails SHOULD be
saved, as a matter of policy. Here in the UK - I don't know about
elsewhere - emails have the same legal standing as snailmail.

> Sorry, but they can keep that crap on their own HDs.  Plus bandwidth
> and
> CPU time are increased for IMAP.  No need to waste server resources.

I'm looking at www.scan.co.uk here, and it's quoting £55.75 for 120gig
hard-drives and £109 for 200gig. For your 50 users, that's a cost/user
of £1, for over TWICE as much space as you've estimated for their
needs. I'm guessing you could get an  Athlon motherboard, dual 2Ghz
processors, & a gig of ram for about £400; don't you think that would
be adequate..? I would imagine prices are lower where you are, too.

> If
> I needed to charge users for such storage & bandwidth, my service would
> quickly be replaced by someone else offering POP3.

Perhaps, but we're not taking about an environment in which users are
charged for the service - Mr Wieja has stated that he's handling
corporate emails, so cost of supporting the users PCs is presumably
also relevant. The last thing you want to be doing when you find that
Windows will only boot to "Safe Mode" is to be faffing around backing
up their Outlook Distress mailboxes & addressbook before you can do
anything else.

Stroller.