centralized mail storage [was: Teching bogofilter by forwarding messages]

Stroller Linux.Luser at myrealbox.com
Sat Dec 20 23:51:04 CET 2003

On Dec 20, 2003, at 2:43 am, Gyepi SAM wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 12:26:26AM +0000, Stroller wrote:
>> Only my opinion, but decentralised email storage is a Bad Thing (tm).
>> You should disable the users POP3 access & make it company policy that
>> users HAVE to keep their mail on the server using IMAP. It would be
>> easy to argue that you have a responsibility to maintain copies of all
>> emails sent & received for legal reasons, and that back-up demands
>> email centralisation.
>
> Once could make the argument, but it doesn't make it true.

Indeed. But I feel that if, as a sysadmin, you'd prefer to manage IMAP
to POP3 then you could make a pretty convincing argument for it in most
any business / academic / corporate environment (that is large enough
to employ a full-time sysadmin).

> You can keep copies of every message that passes through your server
> without
> forcing everyone to use IMAP.

True. But if you're going to store copies on the server, anyway, why
not serve them from there too, if it's your preference..?

I guess there are admins here who don't like IMAP, which frankly
surprises me, but I have no interest in arguing the point with them -
that's fine, it's their choice. All I'm saying is that I would have
thought any sysadmin who did prefer the centralised maintenace of IMAP
could make a pretty good case for it.

Stroller.