Teching bogofilter by forwarding messages

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Fri Dec 19 15:19:00 CET 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 04:55:03PM +0100, Michal Wieja wrote:
> On Friday 19 December 2003 13:53, Stroller wrote:
> >
> > I use courier-imap & maildirs, and if I were implementing this I
> > would just give each user a Spam/Definite folder & a Spam/Probable
> > folder, then tell them to drag & drop all spam into their "definite"
> > folder to confirm it.
>
> Problem is that users have only pop3 accounts, and they collect their
> e-mails on their own machines, I've been trying to convince them to
> use imap (would be much more easier for me), but it's hard to change
> people's habits.

I have a similiar situation to yours where everyone uses POP in the
office, mainly as the old mail server was a bit slow.

So what I did was have them continue to POP their mail off the server
and added an IMAP account so that they can check their spam folder.  And
like above I have a cronjob that checks their "makespam" and "makegood"
IMAP directories which they use to reclassify email.

There was a lot of user resistance "You mean I have to check TWO
mailboxes!?!?" but after they gave up their desire to filter spam
themselves (old habits are hard to break) they now can't live without
it.

I would go the IMAP route for users to reclassify email as you'll run
into more headaches with trying to tell them "bounce your misclassified
emails to this account for spam and this one for good" versus just
dragging and dropping.

Chris