Need help please

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Dec 16 00:03:42 CET 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:28:47 -0800
"Charles F. Wyble (imap)" <cwyble at thewybles.com> wrote:

> One more thing,  If I use absolute path names -ie-
> /usr/local/bin/bogofilter then I get the same errors.
>
> I did re-build and re-install but it didn't help.
>
> Charlie
>

> Charles F. Wyble (imap) wrote:
>
> > HELP.
> >
> > Our system crashed last night and I'm having problems getting
> > procmail / bogofilter to work again..
> >
> > I was running 14.8 and decided just to trash my old word list and
> > run 15.10
> >
> > The compile went fine and installed in usr/local/bin.  Procmail is
> > working until it gets to the bogo filter line:
> >
> >     # filter mail through bogofilter, tagging it as spam and
> >     # updating the word lists
> >
> >     :0fw
> >     | bogofilter -e -p -d /etc/bogofilter
> >
> >     :0e
> >     { EXITCODE=75 HOST }
> >
> >     :0:
> >
> > then procmail (with logging turned on) gives me this:
> >     procmail: Program failure (-8) of "bogofilter"
> >     procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
> >     From charles.wyble at newroads.com  Mon Dec 15 14:01:52 2003
> >       Folder:
> > .Stuff/new/1071525712.4208_0.moses
> > 759
> >
> > What does the "Program failure (-8) of "bogofilter" mean?  I can't
> > find any reference to this in either the procmail or bogofilter
> > docs.
> >
> > Any help is greatly needed here.
> >
> > Charlie

Charlie,

An error code of 8 is not one that bogofilter generates per se.
Bogofilter's exit codes are 0, 1, 2, and 3.

Possibly relevant is that /usr/include/asm/errno.h has

  #define  ENOEXEC   8   /* Exec format error */

Unexpected errors are often due to permissions.  What are the
permissions for /etc/bogofilter and /etc/bogofilter/wordlist.db?

FWIW, I use /var/lib/bogofilter and here are the permissions:

$$ ls -ld /var/lib/bogofilter /var/lib/bogofilter/wordlist.db
/var/spool/mail/spam-bogofilter"
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Nov 20 16:38
/var/lib/bogofilter/
-rw-r--r--    1 relson   relson   67850240 Dec 15 17:58
/var/lib/bogofilter/wordlist.db

Please let us know when you figure out what the problem is.

Thanks.