DG/UX [was: Re: problem building 0.15.7]

Dave Lovelace dave at firstcomp.biz
Thu Dec 11 21:24:27 CET 2003

Aha.  It doesn't exist under DG/UX.  Under sh (& sh-derived shells, for the
most part), using ":" as a command essentially treats the command line as
a comment - except that it is different from "#" in that what follows is
evaluated rather than ignored.  (The man page says:

       :      No effect; the command does nothing.  A zero exit code is
              returned.

but in fact side effects occur.  If one did ": rm -rf /*" nothing gets deleted,
but with ": `rm -rf /*`" everything gets deleted.)

So in this case, the line
 	$(RANLIB) libbf_gsl.a
doesn't do anything, which is probably correct.

Doing make clean & re-making accomplished nothing except wasting time & CPU
cycles.  I should have realized this: the error was a syntax error in the
makefile (under DG/UX's native make), which prevented any execution of the
makefile, so nothing got done.

--
- Dave Lovelace
  dave at firstcomp.biz