DG/UX [was: Re: problem building 0.15.7]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Dec 11 21:01:52 CET 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:48:46 -0500 (EST)
Dave Lovelace <dave at firstcomp.biz> wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> >
> > A shot in the dark ...
> >
> > Have you done a "make clean" since changing to GNU make?  Perhaps
> > DGUX make helped create a borked object file (or library).
> >
> > Since the gsl library is new to bogofilter since you last built on
> > DGUX, perhaps the library related commands are wrong.  I'm thinking
> > of the flags passed to ranlib.  Can you check them?
> >
> What is ranlib, what are the flags passed to it?  Where do I find out
> about this?
>
> I will try doing a make clean.
>
> > Good luck!
> >
> > David
> >
> Thanks.  <sigh>

Dave,

When an archive (library), such as libbf_gsl.a, is built giving it an
index helps the linker find the needed object modules.  On my linux box,
"apropos ranlib" says "ranlib (1)  - generate index to archive".  I
mentioned it 'cause it _might_ be part of the problem.

Matthias,

Below are some bits from the src/Makefile on DGUX and linux.  Is the
RANLIB definition acceptable?

David

***********

DGUX:

    RANLIB = :

linux:

    RANLIB = ranlib

BOTH:

    libbf_gsl.a: $(libbf_gsl_a_OBJECTS) $(libbf_gsl_a_DEPENDENCIES)
	-rm -f libbf_gsl.a
	$(libbf_gsl_a_AR) libbf_gsl.a $(libbf_gsl_a_OBJECTS)
$(libbf_gsl_a_LIBADD)
	$(RANLIB) libbf_gsl.a