DG/UX [was: Re: problem building 0.15.7]

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Dec 11 11:40:39 CET 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Dave Lovelace wrote:
>
> > I have to wonder about something labeled "PHONY", for one thing.
>
> .PHONY is a special target in a makefile that tells make "hey, rebuild
> this target no matter if there's a file of the same name or not"

This is unclear. Better wording: "hey, rebuild these dependencies no
matter if there are files of the same names or not." This is used to
make special targets like "check:" work.

Without ".PHONY", a file named "check" would prevent "make check" from
executing the tests and state "check is up to date" instead. .PHONY
makes make ignore the "check" file and makes it always execute the
"check" commands.