DG/UX [was: Re: problem building 0.15.7]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Dec 10 20:28:02 CET 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:42:58 -0500 (EST)
Dave Lovelace <dave at firstcomp.biz> wrote:

...[snip]...

> Thanks, I think.  Trying this, configure did not obviously error out.
> I'm not absolutely sure that it completed, though.  The last few
> things it said are:

...[snip]...

> configure:  LDFLAGS=
> configure:     LIBS=-lm
> configure:   DB_LIB=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/lib/libdb.a
> configure: GSL_LIBS=libbf_gsl.a

This looks good.

> At this point it just came back to a shell prompt.  I *think* it's
> done. But now, when I try    make    I get the following:
>
> ----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----s
> nip----$ make
> No suffix list.
> Making all in trio
> No suffix list.
> Making all in src
> Make: line 1732: syntax error.  Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.

It looks like the Makefile is lacking some lines, specifically the
"suffix list".  Are you running GNU make, or a different version?

To figure what's happening, I need to see the configure output files and
whatever Makefiles you've got.  Ideally you can send me old, working
ones as well as new, non-working ones so I can compare, contrast, and
find what's different and wrong.  Commands like the following should
provide what I want:

cd bogofilter-old ; tar zcvf old.1210.tgz config* `find . -name
"Makefile*"'
cd bogofilter-new ; tar zcvf new.1210.tgz config* `find . -name
"Makefile*"'

> I don't really know enough to debug this kind of thing in a makefile,
> at least not efficiently.

The generated makefiles are pretty large, which makes debugging them
difficult for most everyone.  Given working and non-working versions, I
can use gtkdiff to view them and find the differences.  That info, some
knowledge, and some luck should get us where we want to go ;-)

Anyhow, create the tarballs and email them direct to me.

Cheers!