combined vs. separate wordlists [was: Maildir format]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Dec 10 20:18:59 CET 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:16:33 +0100
Lars Bungum <lars.bungum at copyleft.no> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 20:04, David Relson wrote:
> > If you haven't converted from the separate spam and good wordlists,
> > now is also the time to run bogoupgrade and switch to a single
> > combined wordlist.
>
> Howdy, David!
>
> I have just continued using separated wordlists as I've upgraded
> bogofilter throughout the versions.  Seems to be working fine, though.
>
> Will this stop working some time in the future, so I should join the
> databases?  What does bogofilter do if there is only a combined
> database, but it says "separate" in .bogofilter.cf?
>
> --
> Mvh.
> Lars Bungum                            <lb at cl.no> <OpenPGP: E2C5C0A2>
> Copyleft Software AS

Hi Lars,

Very shortly after  0.15.x "current" release gets promoted to "stable"
status, the 0.16.0 release will be made.  It will have a number of
features "deprecated", which means there'll be an option to build with
all options, but the default build will not include them.  The
deprecated code will be removed with the 0.17.0 release

Separate wordlists is one of the features on the "deprecated" list.

When bogofilter starts up it checks for wordlist.db in the
$BOGOFILTER_DIR directory and uses it.  If there's no wordlist.db, it
checks for spamlist.db and goodlist.db.  The info in the config file is
used when the the .db file doesn't exist and bogofilter needs to create
a file (or files) for the wordlist(s).

It would be a good idea to run bogoupgrade to merge the separate
wordlists and create a combined wordlist.

David

P.S.  As this info is of general info, I've CC'd the reply to the
mailing list.