Interesting review of spam filters (bogofilter included)

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Sun Aug 24 22:24:45 CEST 2003

On 24 Aug 2003 at 8:10, Greg Louis wrote:

> On 20030823 (Sat) at 2251:56 -0400, David Relson wrote:
>
> > I wonder if there's a meaningful way to
> > determine an even better set of "standard" parms ???
> >
> Probably not.  The values we distribute derive primarily from your
> experience and mine, and if they work well for others, it must be that
> your experience and mine, taken together, are reasonably typical of
> what the average bogofilter user will see.  To improve our defaults we
> would have to assemble a truly representative sample of the planet's
> email -- not an easy task.  It's to be hoped that all the work we've
> put into telling people how to tune bogofilter for themselves will help
> users optimize for their own environments, which is much the better way
> anyhow.

I reckon the main difference between bogofilter and the other Bayesian
filters are the cut-off settings. Bogofilter seems to have the least false
positives and hence more false negatives. So it scores well if a high cost
is associated with false positives - but I guess the others could be
adjusted in a similar way by changing cut-offs.
.

--
Peter Bishop
pgb at adelard.com