Interesting review of spam filters (bogofilter included)

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Aug 24 04:51:56 CEST 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:50:31 -0400
Greg Louis <glouis at dynamicro.on.ca> wrote:

> http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/964/
>
> Recommended reading for bogofilter folks.

Greg,

Indeed it is!  I finally found the time to read the (long) article.  The first few experiments were not too interesting as bogofilter was just another member of the pack - near the top, but not clearly different.  The later experiments show BF in a much better light.  It's heart warming to see that our "seat of the pants (and nearly random choices)" for the scoring parms (robs, robx, min_dev, spam_cutoff) do so well.  I wonder if there's a meaningful way to determine an even better set of "standard" parms ???

David

P.S.  I assume you know the article has been /.'ed (as "Seven Spam Filters Compared").