bogoupgrade

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Aug 22 19:49:11 CEST 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, David Relson wrote:

> You ask some good questions, and I wish I knew the answer.  I'd like
> to see the problem identified!!
>
> At one time the suspected cause was incorrect use of BerkelyDB's
> locking mechanism by bogofilter.  Matthias did a lot of work on that
> and fixed it - so far as we know.  As your results show, there's
> still some kind of a problem.

Perhaps the problem has something to do with bogofilter's locking
tests in the test suite failing randomly when the current directory is
a NFS mount.  I have seen this with a Solaris 9 NFS server & Solaris
2.5 & FreeBSD 5.0 NFS clients.  This is not to say that the problem is
isolated to NFS.  NFS increases lock/access durations so it may bring
locking bugs to light faster.

When I run the test suite, there is about a 50% chance that the second
lock test will fail.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us