Compile Problem

Lane P. Lester llester at simpub.com
Sat Aug 9 20:43:58 CEST 2003

Hoogervorst recommended that I read the article on O'Reilly's site on
how to use bogofilter and sylpheed. The article is well-written
and easy to understand. However... there always seems to be a "however"
with me... I ran into a problem compiling bogofilter. This is the way
that configure died the first time I ran it:

configure: error: Can not locate a suitable BerkeleyDB db.h header file.
Use --with-db=PATH to specify the path to a v3+ install directory.
You can download BerkeleyDB 4.0.x from http://www.sleepycat.com/

Since I had already compiled BerkelyDB, I modified the command to this:
LC2:~/tmp/bogofilter-0.14.3# ./configure
--with-db=/root/tmp/db-4.1.25/build_unix
since there was a db.h file in that directory. However, configure choked
again with a slightly different error message:

checking for library providing db_create... no
configure: error: Can not locate a suitable Berkeley DB library.  Use
--with-db=PATH to specify the path to a v3+ install directory

So then I tried where the db.h had been installed:
LC2:~/tmp/bogofilter-0.14.3# ./configure
--with-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include
but I got the same error message.

Do you think it can't handle the BerkelyDB version 4 and I need to
compile version 3 instead?

Lane
____
Lane P. Lester / Madison County, Georgia
**Running Linux more and Windows less**