xmlto

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Aug 8 18:41:04 CEST 2003

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> In order to avoid the dependence on 'xmlto' you can add a 'doc' target
> so 'make doc' ensures that the documentation is up to date.  Formatted
> documentation would be committed to CVS so that it is always
> available.

Currently, formatted documentation is shipped with the tarballs. I do
not want formatted files that are generated from others to be in CVS,
because that makes handling dependencies a bit more difficult, if for
example not all developers have the exact same versions in their tool
chain: you'll be getting bogus diffs.

> I have one system with 'xmlto' installed so if I want to build the CVS
> version of bogofilter across multiple targets, I have to manually copy
> the formatted documents in the 'doc' subdirectory to the 'doc'
> subdirectory for the target being built (I configure/build bogofilter
> from outside the source directory).

Well, such a VPATH build /should/ work, but it's lightly tested because
I test the VPATH build on the "make destdir" or "make dest" output
rather than the raw CVS. I'll investigate that and see if there's
anything I can fix.