Maintaining a snappy bogofilter

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Apr 11 18:21:40 CEST 2003

At 11:54 AM 4/11/03, Chris Ditri wrote:

>Well, Now that I am back on track, I estimate that I am pushing around 97-98%
>accuracy using the default bogofilter.cf. In my current setup I am receiving
>about 1500 emails a day.  When I did my initial beta-test with bogofilter
>.10.x, I was over 99.9% accurate using default settings, and receiving about
>800 messages a day.
>
>I hope to get that percentage back up, because I plan to go global next week,
>which will be probably around 20,000 or so messages a day (just a guess, but
>we have about 110 more accounts yet who will be using bogofilter soon).
>
>I keep a copy of anything that bogofilter finds as spam, and send out a daily
>report to each user of any emails filtered out as spam. (it lists the subject
>and from line of each email -- not the contents of each mail).  I keep the
>spams for 30 days, then they get the axe.  If something was mis-labeled as
>spam and they want it restored, they have to get with me prior to then.
>
>I figure this coveres my a** just in case bogofilter gets too aggressive.
>
>Chris

Chris,

That sounds like a workable plan.  The notifications and 30 day archive
are, I think, necessary when working with any sort of customer base.  We
all know that people's definition of spam varies, so it's impossible for a
person to please all of the people all of the time.  It's even harder for a
program.