building on AIX (was: building on OS-X)

Michael K. Ter Louw mterlo1 at uic.edu
Fri Apr 4 08:34:30 CEST 2003

I'm pasting below a section from BerkeleyDB's configure script, where the
decision is made to use xlc_r.  Note that the comment says that some
architectures require the thread support.  It appears that anyone using AIX
4.3 will run into the same problem I did (my machine is running 4.3.3), or
maybe even AIX 5 (I'm not sure how exactly to read the script).

Mike

Starts at line #3225 /db-4.1.25/dist/configure :

# This is where we handle stuff that autoconf can't handle: compiler,
# preprocessor and load flags, libraries that the standard tests don't
# look for.  The default optimization is -O.  We would like to set the
# default optimization for systems using gcc to -O2, but we can't.  By
# the time we know we're using gcc, it's too late to set optimization
# flags.
#
# There are additional libraries we need for some compiler/architecture
# combinations.
#
# Some architectures require DB to be compiled with special flags and/or
# libraries for threaded applications
#
# The makefile CC may be different than the CC used in config testing,
# because the makefile CC may be set to use $(LIBTOOL).
#
# XXX
# Don't override anything if it's already set from the environment.
optimize_def="-O"
case "$host_os" in
aix4.3.*|aix5*)
	optimize_def="-O2"
	CC=${CC-"xlc_r"}
	CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_THREAD_SAFE"
	LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -Wl,-brtl";;
bsdi3*)	optimize_def="-O2"
	CC=${CC-"shlicc2"}
	LIBS="$LIBS -lipc";;
bsdi*)	optimize_def="-O2";;
freebsd*)
	optimize_def="-O2"
	CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_THREAD_SAFE"
	LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -pthread";;
hpux*)	CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_REENTRANT";;
irix*)	optimize_def="-O2"
	CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_SGI_MP_SOURCE";;
linux*)	optimize_def="-O2"
	CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT";;
mpeix*)	CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_SOCKET_SOURCE"
	LIBS="$LIBS -lsocket -lsvipc";;
osf*)	CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_REENTRANT"
	LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -pthread";;
*qnx)	cat >>confdefs.h <<\_ACEOF