configure failure os x

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Apr 3 23:31:48 CEST 2003

At 03:59 PM 4/3/03, Michael K. Ter Louw wrote:

> >===== Original Message From Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> =====
> >This patch should fix this particular problem. Save this mail body into
> >the bogofilter source directory as compile-fix-aix.diff, then "cd"
> >into that directory and type "patch <compile-fix-aix.diff". Should AIX
> >lack a "patch" command, get the GNU patch command.
>
>Thanks, it finally worked :)
>
> >Please forward any other "Syntax error." you'll find. According to
> >various web sites I've found, I'd suggest that you try:
>
>This is the only other one.  Once I deleted the comma, I was able to compile
>Bogofilter without errors.
>
>source='bogoconfig.c' object='bogoconfig.o' libtool=no \
>depfile='.deps/bogoconfig.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/bogoconfig.TPo' \
>depmode=aix /bin/sh ../depcomp \
>xlc_r -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.  -I./dcdflib/doc
>-I/homes/home1/mterlo1/include  -DBOGOFILTER -g  -c `test -f
>'bogoconfig.c' ||
>echo './'`bogoconfig.c
>"lexer.h", line 31.11: 1506-046 (S) Syntax error.
>make[3]: *** [bogoconfig.o] Error 1

lexer.h has been modified and the change committed to CVS.  Computers can
be sooo picky!  A wrong character here or there, and everything comes to a
flaming standstill.  Ain't they wonderful?

>----------------------------------
>
>So the process for compiling Bogofilter on this particular machine was:
>- Install BerkeleyDB in my $HOME
>- Untar bogofilter
>- set CC to xlc_r
>- configure --prefix=$HOME --with-db=$HOME
>- delete the troubling commas in common.h and lexer.h
>- run make
>- run make install
>
>I don't know why xlc_r has to be used to compile.  If you want I can send you
>the config.log from BerkeleyDB, which will indicate at what point it decided
>to use xlc_r instead of gcc.

I gather that "cc" is a different compiler than xlc_r and that there's no
gcc on your system.  Correct?

Matthias - I'll let you take care of the configuree.ac details :-)

>Thanks, Matthias and David, for the help :D
>
>Mike

I'll add a bit to the FAQ.  Good job, Mike!