configure failure os x

Michael K. Ter Louw mterlo1 at uic.edu
Thu Apr 3 22:59:07 CEST 2003

>===== Original Message From Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> =====
>This patch should fix this particular problem. Save this mail body into
>the bogofilter source directory as compile-fix-aix.diff, then "cd"
>into that directory and type "patch <compile-fix-aix.diff". Should AIX
>lack a "patch" command, get the GNU patch command.

Thanks, it finally worked :)

>Please forward any other "Syntax error." you'll find. According to
>various web sites I've found, I'd suggest that you try:

This is the only other one.  Once I deleted the comma, I was able to compile
Bogofilter without errors.

source='bogoconfig.c' object='bogoconfig.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/bogoconfig.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/bogoconfig.TPo' \
depmode=aix /bin/sh ../depcomp \
xlc_r -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.  -I./dcdflib/doc
-I/homes/home1/mterlo1/include  -DBOGOFILTER -g  -c `test -f 'bogoconfig.c' ||
echo './'`bogoconfig.c
"lexer.h", line 31.11: 1506-046 (S) Syntax error.
make[3]: *** [bogoconfig.o] Error 1

----------------------------------

So the process for compiling Bogofilter on this particular machine was:
- Install BerkeleyDB in my $HOME
- Untar bogofilter
- set CC to xlc_r
- configure --prefix=$HOME --with-db=$HOME
- delete the troubling commas in common.h and lexer.h
- run make
- run make install

I don't know why xlc_r has to be used to compile.  If you want I can send you
the config.log from BerkeleyDB, which will indicate at what point it decided
to use xlc_r instead of gcc.

Thanks, Matthias and David, for the help :D

Mike