configure failure os x

Michael Kenneth Ter Louw mterlo1 at uic.edu
Wed Apr 2 18:26:13 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, David Relson wrote:

> David,
>
> Have you looked at config.log?  configure writes a fair amount of info to
> it.  The last hunk of config.log generally shows what configure was last
> doing.  In the case of a configure error, that last hunk is the thing to
> look at.
>
> Take a look and see what you find.  If what's there is totally meaningless
> for you, find the first line that mentions Berkeley DB and post the file
> from that line to the end of the file.
>
> Let us know how it goes.

I had the same problem when running Bogofilter configure on an AIX
machine.  The config.log showed that gcc was returning errors related to
the pthread library.  I could try it again and post the exact error
messages if it would help.  BerkeleyDB built fine, so I looked in its
configure file and there was extensive checking for thread-related stuff.
I manually edited Bogofilter's configure file to use xlc_r with the
-pthread option instead of gcc (I don't know where I saw this, it might
have been from BerkeleyDB's generated Makefile) and I got configure to run
successfully, but then I would get errors when running make.  Eventually I
just gave up getting Bogofilter installed on the AIX; instead I use it on
my account on a Solaris machine.  I'm pretty new at this stuff so I don't
know if I would be much help debugging, but if you're interested in
looking into it I could reproduce the error messages, etc..  Also I'm not
sure if this is a known issue already, just thought I'd chime in with my
experience.

Mike