bogofilter -p mishandling non-ascii chars?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Oct 26 00:30:44 CEST 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Barry Gould wrote:

> I just received some spam which got tagged with x-spam-status=no by
> BogoFilter 0.7.3.
>
> After messing around with it, trying to feed it back in with -S, etc, I
> realized there were some non-ascii characters at the bottom of the message
> which are give me (and bash) grief. Every time I tried to paste the body
> into my terminal, it would suspend bogofilter (as if I had hit CTRL-Z).

Is not CTRL-Z the "end of file" marker of MS-DOS?

> I am worried about this as I was thinking about doing some sort of base64
> decoding before passing to bogofilter -p. I don't know if this is a good
> idea or not, but obviously I am getting base64 spam and bogofilter isn't
> catching it.

bogofilter will ignore base64, it will not try to decode it. That's a
known shortcoming, and we're sorry for the inconvenience, however, not
many people get base64 encoded spam -- you seem to be one of those who
actually got some spam mails that were base64 encoded.

And I do recall having fixed a "last line is doubled or contains
garbage" bug, but I don't recall when that happened. Likely after 0.7.3.