question on multiple wordlists

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Fri Oct 11 19:31:32 CEST 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 01:20:18PM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> You're right, -n and -s aren't needed with --wordlist.  Each of the options
> implies operations on a single wordlist.
>
> However consider the following:
>
> bogofilter -d mydirectory -n <goodmsg
> bogofilter -d mydirectory -s <spammsg
>
> Given the possibility of typing -n when -s was meant, -N and -S will remain
> useful with -d.  Given that the user may do:
>
> bogofilter --wordlist myspamlist <spammsg
> bogofilter --wordlist mygoodlist <goodmsg
>
> There's still a need for -N and -S which take two wordlists.  This leads to
> the value of --spamlist and --goodlist.

I still disagree.  Remember, -N and -S exist for people that are
automatically updating the lists.  There's no reason to automatically
update user-defined lists, that's what the stock goodlist/spamlist are
for.

Hand-maintained db-files will be updated infrequently, if at all.  The
only obvious purpose for such a file would be to download big spam DBs
from the net, and there's no reason to ever update those.

Plus, I think there's easy ways to screw it up and accidentally mess up
your goodlist or badlist too:

bogofilter -N --spamlist myspamlist <msg

If you insist, I think that an option to subtract a message from a given
list could be implemented, without risking the trouble:

bogofilter --subtract --spamlist myspamlist <msg

This is the only possible way to correct a situation where you're only
building a spam list (for net distribution), with no matching goodlist.