procmail, mutt and bogofilter problems

jerry jondola at mtaonline.net
Fri Nov 15 05:01:19 CET 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:17:18 -0500
David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:

> I'm going to skip commeenting on procmail because I'm not that
> familiar with it.  Hopefully someone else will chip in with the info.
>
> >I am also having difficulties understanding how to have bogofilter
> >read and update the goodlist/spamlist, I've tried to pass my self
> >sorted spam list thru bogofilter:
> >
> >bogofilter -p /home/jerry/Mail/inbox/spam -s -v -v
>
> What version of bogofilter are you using?  The current version 0.8.0
> would tell respond to the above command line with:

bogofilter version 0.8.0

> Error:  Invalid combination of options.
>      Options '-s', '-n', '-S', and '-N' are used when registering
>      words. Options '-p', '-u', '-e', and '-R' are used when
>      classifying messages. The two sets of options may not be used
>      together.
>
> Basically '-s' and '-n' are used when you know you have spam (or ham)
> and are training bogofilter.  '-p' is used when you want bogofilter to
> classify a message and make a spam/ham determination.  As a last
> detail, there should be a "<" in front of the file name since
> bogofilter reads the message from stdin.

Okay, thanks for the clarification on -n and -s.
so from your comment about -p, this is what bogofilter uses to make the
initial determination if this is spam or not, is my understanding
correct?
Yes, there was a < in front of the file name, word wrap got it.

> >bogofilter -p -s -u -e -v -v -v -l <
> >/home/jerry/Mail/inbox/spam/spam3.txt >bogofilter2.txt
> >bogofilter2.txt has a list of words and associated rankings, on that
> >I am guessing. the final line has:
> >86  P_Q_S_invsum_logsum    0.22808   0.98986  0.187268   -22.263
> >-394.837
> >Is the 0.98986, from above the overall score this email recieves?
> >I apologize for the long message and would gladly accept any help.
>
> You have generated the Rtable, which is a data frame that can be used
> for input to the R math package.  Use fewer '-v' flags to get more
> easily understood output.
>
> I'd also strongly recommend reading the man page to get a feel for how
>
> bogofilter operates and how its command line options are used.

> David

Thanks for the advice
jerry