database recovery

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Sun Nov 10 21:32:12 CET 2002

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 11:01:19PM +0000, jeff wrote:
> When I run `bogoutil -d goodlist.db` I get:
>
> bogoutil (c_get): DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
> recovery
> bogoutil (db) db_lock:: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run
> database recovery
>
> How do I recover it? db_recover doesn't do the trick.
> bogoutil version: 0.7.6.0
> db version: 4.0.14  (rh8)
>
> The file was corrupted by a hardware related system crash, not
> anything bogofilter did. Still, I want it back. ;)
>
> Thanks,

Apologies for responding so late. As David mentioned in another email,
I just moved and was offline for some time.

db_recover *is* the tool for the job. There are two options to try.

1. If you know the date/time of the crash, use the -t option. Man db_recover for the syntax,
   but the general idea is to recover any data that was flushed before the crash.

2. If the first option does not work, use the -c option, which performs a catastrophic recovery.
   Essentially, it will do the best it can, but provides no guarantees about data integrity.
   Use it only if you are truly desperate.

HTH

-Gyepi