wordlist maintenance

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Dec 18 01:37:08 CET 2002

At 09:07 AM 12/17/02, Greg Louis wrote:

>On 20021217 (Tue) at 0856:47 -0500, David Relson wrote:
>
> > I don't recall mention of a "no-timestamps" option.  I must have missed
> > it.
>
> > >Come to think of it, that would be a nice trick: support either old
> > >or new db format and only do the date check on the new, but do the
> > >count and size checks on either.  I'd like that; I don't have a
> > >crucial need for the timestamps and it would save space as well as
> > >preserve backward compatibility.
>
>I meant "support either old or new db format" not "transparently
>convert old to new."  Should have written "maintain either old or new
>format," I guess, to make it clearer.
>
> > It's easy enough to add, though it'd be a config file option.  Would
> > you care to suggest a good name?
>
>datestamp_tokens (boolean, as in datestamp_tokens=no)?

We could indeed do it that way.  On the drive home, I thought of an
alternate approach.  At program initialization, the current date is stored
in global variable "today".  Command line option "-y date" allows manual
setting of that variable.  It's approximately a 1 line change to use
"today" as the date/no-date flag.  As an alternative, the config file
option you suggest would take 3 or 4 lines of code.