Idea for improving the learning stage

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Sep 7 01:11:21 CEST 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:07:12 +0000 (UTC)
Andrew wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:52:04 -0400,
> Tom Anderson <tanderso at oac-design.com> wrote:
>
> > Sounds like an interesting strategy on client-side filters which
> > are integrated into the mail client, but I don't see how this could
> > apply to a server-side filter.  Perhaps Bogofilter could be a link
> > in the chain of such a system, but Bogofilter itself doesn't
> > "watch" user behavior.
>
> Hi Tom, I use Bogofilter as a client-side filter: my MUA (KMail)
> calls it when new mail comes in and when I flag messages as spam or
> ham.
>
> My idea could probably be implemented as a command-line switch
> followed by a read/unread flag . That way, when the MUA calls
> Bogofilter, it could include that switch and pass message status.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

Since bogofilter normally classifies a message before the MUA is used
to view it, your message had me puzzled for a while.  After thinking a
bit your idea seems more reasonable.  Assuming your MUA can pass the
read/unread state to a script, then the script would be able to
translate the MUA flag to a bogofilter training flag.  This seems to be
a technique that could be implemented for a MUA, rather than a
capability needing a change to bogofilter.

If you make progress with your idea, let us know how it goes.  The FAQ
has plenty of space for working techniques :->

HTH,