make rpm

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Dec 29 16:36:23 CET 2005

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Also, in Makefile.am there's an objdump test?  On my workstation it's
> triggering the "Please run ..." message.  I've checked and my build of
> sqlite-3.2.8 _does_ include symbol __ctype_b_loc.

And that is the problem, as linking with this sqlite-3.2.8 version will
add "libc.so(GLIBC_2.3)" to the requirements list and fail to link at
run time on systems that predate GLIBC 2.3.

The old versions of the script (1.1, 1.2) tried to pass -D__NO_CTYPE via
CPPFLAGS, which sqlite's Makefile.in isn't using. The new 1.3 version
now passes this via CFLAGS, which works, so that the GLIBC 2.3
requirement is removed.

This, unfortunately, requires you to rebuild your sqlite-3.2.8
installation. Detecting this GLIBC_2.3 dependency and rebuilding to
remove it is what the objdump/grep stuff is all about.