[cvs] bogofilter NEWS,1.527,1.528 Makefile.am,1.173,1.174

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Dec 28 21:51:04 CET 2005

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Since the default build is for BerkeleyDB, having "with_sqlite 1" is
> useful for producing bogofilter-sqlite.  Perhaps we should rename the
> default binary rpm as "bogofilter-db4" and the static binary to
> "bogofilter-db4-static"?

Well, "db4" is inaccurate unfortunately, it will have to be either of
db4.0, db4.1, ... db4.4. The current 1.0.0-1 RPM requires libdb-4.2.so
and GNU libc 2.3.4.

Before you read on and reply: I've committed (to CVS) a script to
download and install "lean" versions -- feature-stripped, static-only --
that my local Makefile.am changes use.

We should continue to require or use db-4.2, to avoid extra migration
on the users' ends, I'm unclear however how to proceed. Do we want to
keep the version that requires a separate db42 install, offer the
"selfcontained" one that is linked statically against db42?

My local "make rpm" changes to Makefile.am produce a bogofilter-1* and
bogofilter-sqlite-1* rpm, either of which has the database linked
statically and requires only glibc 2.2 (not 2.3). That should make the
RPMs fit for any Linux distribution where RPM can cope with
"PayloadFilesHavePrefix" and "CompressedFileNames" -- I don't currently
know how to turn the former off (RPM 4.0 feature). I don't think we need
to turn off the latter, it's an RPM 3.0.4 feature. If someone knows the
necessary undocumented RPM gunk^Wworkaround to turn such features off,
please share your wisdom.