database usage

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Dec 20 09:09:05 CET 2005

djh <henman at it.to-be.co.jp> writes:

> Is it easily possible to use the gnu db, gdbm, instead of the
> Berzerkly one?

No, it isn't, and I would not recommend doing so even if it were
possible. GDBM is slow and unmaintained. The "mutt" mailer switched from
GDBM to QDBM (for its header cache) for several reasons.

As David wrote, you can use SQLite3 or QDBM as alternatives to Berkeley
DB.  If it helps, QDBM comes with Japanese documentation.

I don't use QDBM in production, but I know some people do, and I believe
they would have complained a long time ago had they had issues with QDBM.